These risotto-stuffed tomatoes are not as difficult as they sound. A delicious side dish or main with risotto made with vegetables stuffed in tomatoes & baked.
Author: Straight Outta My Kitchen
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 4 large vine, tomatoes
- 50 g / ½ cup, dried apricots
- 2 to 3 sprigs, basil
- 2 shallots
- 5 to 6 tbs olive, oil, (total)
- 150 g / ¾ cup risotto, rice
- 500 milliliters / 2 cups, chicken stock
- 50 g / ⅓ cups toasted, pine nuts
- 50 g / ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- 50 g / ¼ cup, butter
- cayenne pepper
- sea salt freshly ground black pepper, brown sugar
- Wash tomatoes. Cut the upper quarter of each tomato off like a lid. Carefully hollow out the tomatoes with a spoon. Dice the apricots finely; pluck basil leaves and chop finely.
- Peel shallots, dice finely and sauté briefly in 2 tbsp. olive oil along with the rice. Pour in ⅓ of the stock; simmer over medium heat until the rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining broth bit by bit. After around 18 min., when the rice is cooked but still has some bite to it, stir in the apricots, toasted pine nuts and chopped basil. Stir in Parmesan and butter; season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 395 °F. Fill the hollowed-out tomatoes with the risotto and cover them with the tomato lids. Place each stuffed tomato into a mini cocotte; drizzle with the remaining olive oil and season with salt, pepper and sugar. Set the cocottes onto a baking tray and bake for around 20-25 minutes.