Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwish
From The Home of Brotherly Love, Nothing is more satisfying then A Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.
Author: Straight Outta My Kitchen
- • 1½ lbs. rib eye (may sub top sirloin or skirt steak, very thinly sliced*)
- • olive oil
- • 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- • 2 green bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- • 1 poblano pepper (thinly sliced)
- • ¾ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese (or more to taste)
- • ⅓ cup roughly chopped jarred cherry (pimento peppers (optional))
- • 8 Sargento Provolone Cheese slices
- • 4 soft hoagie rolls
- • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • ½ tsp EACH garlic pwdr (onion pwdr, dried thyme, dried parsley)
- • ¼ tsp EACH pepper (red pepper flakes)
- Spiced Mayonnaise
- • 1 tablespoon Reserved Spiced Mayonnaise (in directions)
- • ½ cup mayonnaise
- • Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together in a Ziploc bag. Remove 1 tablespoon Marinade and add to a small bowl with ½ cup mayonnaise to make "Spiced Mayonnaise". Add hot sauce to mayonnaise if desired and store in the refrigerator.
- Add steak to Ziploc bag with remaining Marinade. Marinate 6 hours up to overnight. Remove steak from fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare hoagie rolls by slicing each in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom and top halves of bread, leaving about ½-inch-thick shell.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over in a large skillet over medium high heat until smoking. Pat excess marinade off steak and add to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 1 minute then continue to cook while stirring just until no longer pink, 1-2 minutes, chopping up meat with spatula as you cook. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. (You can also chop on a cutting board.)
- Wipe out skillet and heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add peppers and onion and cook 6-8 minutes or until softened. Add steak back to pan along with ¾ cup cheddar, 1 tablespoon Spiced Mayonnaise, pimientos (optional). Stir just until steak is warmed through and cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread each top and bottom half of hoagie roll with Spiced mayonnaise. Evenly divide beef mixture between bottom buns then top each with 2 slices provolone cheese. Bake hoagies open faced for 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Replace top buns and eat immediately.