Author: Chris Dunford - Straight Outta My Kitchen
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Chili flakes
- 1 28 can -oz diced tomato
- 6 cups Vegetable stock
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2 pinches Saffron
- 1 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar, garam masala, coriander, turmeric and chili flakes. Continue cooking spices for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reduce for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, potatoes and saffron and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree half the almonds and add to soup along with the cream. Cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. Adjust seasonings.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with remaining almonds and cilantro.