Kick Ass Butter Chicken
Recipe Type: Main
- For Chicken & Marinade
- 2 1/5 lbs 1 kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in 1″ – 2″ cubes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher Salt
- For The Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Onions (about 2 medium-large)
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher Salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups diced no-salt-added canned Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream (or whipping Cream)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- chopped Cilantro (to garnish (optional))
- For Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients in a zip-top bag or shallow baking dish, massaging the marinade into the chicken. Let stand at room temperature while you prepare the sauce, or marinate in the fridge overnight.
- For Sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions and slowly cook until golden, about 20 minutes, reducing heat if they are getting crispy or browning quickly.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in Garam Masala, paprika, cinnamon and salt; cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes, then add cream and carefully puree using an Immersion Blender (or Standing Blender, but do it in batches or the steam will blow the top off).
- Return sauce to saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add chicken to the sauce, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until cooked through, about 12 minutes (remove a couple of pieces to make sure they are no longer pink inside). A gentle simmer is required to gently cook the breasts so they don’t become tough, and you don’t want to overcook them.
- Stir in butter, taste and add more salt to taste. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired.