Home made Flour Tortilla Shells
Homemade Flour Tortillas Using a Pasta Maker so easy to make. Look Out Taco Tuesdays it just got crazy
- 1 3/4 C all purpose flour (more for dusting with)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 C hot water (not boiling)
- Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor and pulse a couple times to mix
- Turn the speed to low and drizzle in the oil.
- Drizzle in the hot water until it is all incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead 9 or 10 times.
- Cut the dough into 16 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- Place the dough pieces on a clean plate and cover with plastic for 30 minutes.
- To make the tortillas, take each piece of dough and flatten it into a round disc.
- Dust with flour on both sides.
- Run the disc through the pasta maker on the widest setting and lowest speed.
- Turn the disc a quarter turn and run through again.
- Turn the width setting a notch up and run through again.
- Continue turning the width setting a notch higher and running the dough through until you reach the 4th width setting.
- The dough should be thin enough that you can see your hand through it.
- Dust each side with a little flour again and place on a plate.
- Cover with a kitchen towel to keep from drying out.
- Continue processing each piece of dough.
- To cook, place a very dry skillet over med/high heat.
- When the skillet is very hot, place one of the tortillas in by the edge.
- If the skillet is hot enough, you’ll hear a slight sizzle.
- If not, turn the heat up a little to adjust.
- Cook the tortilla on the first side until you see large bubbles appear and the dough looks like it’s beginning to cook through to the top.
- Flip the tortilla over and press down with a spatula to cook the other side until browned lightly.
- Place the hot tortilla on a kitchen towel and cover while cooking the rest of them.
- Serve the warm tortillas with your favorite taco fixin’s.