Elk Shepherd's Pie Cast Iron Skillet
This a savoury dish filled with ground Elk an array of vegetables, and delicious mashed potatoes.
- – 1 pound ground elk
- – 3 stalks celery (diced)
- – 2 carrots (diced)
- – 1 large onion (diced)
- – 1/4 cup tomato paste
- – 1 cup red wine
- – 2 cups beef stock
- – 2 pounds’ potatoes
- – 1/4 cup butter
- – 1/2 cup milk or cream
- – 1 can corn
- – 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- In large pot add potatoes, cut into quarters, and boil.
- In Cast Iron Skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground elk.
- Add diced celery, onion, and carrots, cook until soft.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in red wine and reduce by half, about five minutes.
- Add beef stock and continue to reduce, about ten minutes.
- When potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes, mash and add butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once stock has reduced, add the can of corn.
- Spread mashed potatoes over elk mixture, covering completely. Sprinkle on cheese.