Like it’s umami rich friend the porcini, bacon makes everything better. Now with this recipe all your foods can be seasoned with magic yum dust. Sprinkle it over popcorn, baked potatoes, eggs, vegetables, burgers, fries, salads, dips and avocados.
- <strong>1/2 cup unrefined salt
- 8 ounces thin cut bacon</strong>
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Crinkle up your parchment so that there are grooves for the bacon grease to drip into, then lay bacon across and cook for until completely crisp. Mine took about 25-30 minutes, but you’ll want to start checking around the 15 minute mark to make sure the bacon doesn’t burn.
- Once the bacon is crisp, transfer it to a paper towel and let the grease drain off. Blot it if needed and then place in the coffee grinder and pulse until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
- Nearly all versions of bacon salt that I’ve found online call for it to be stored in the fridge. I’m not sure that’s necessary given that salt is used to cure meats, but because I could not find any definitive resources on the subject I decided to keep mine in the fridge just in case