Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield: 8 Prep time: 10 Minute’s Total time: 15 Minute’s
- 3medium, firm green tomatoes
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1/2cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/3cup cornmeal
- 1/2cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4cup peanut oil or other vegetable oil
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using), buttermilk and egg, and bread crumbs and cornmeal.
2 Heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-bread crumb mix. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These are fantastic with a little Tabasco sauce or remoulade.